Catherine Terry, age 81, passed away on Monday, September 23, 2019, after a long 9-year struggle with Alzheimer’s. She is survived by her youngest son, Ty Wilson and eldest son, Anthony Wilson and his wife Suemi, as well as, her grandson, Zachary and granddaughter, Nile Wilson.
Additionally, she is also survived by her youngest sister, Ernestine Littlejohn and her husband Thurston and Cathy's older brother Robert Floyd, as well as, her beloved best friend Adele Harrison and her husband Gary, and other beloved family and friends.
Catherine Terry (Cathy) was born to Tometrius and Geneva Floyd on July 23, 1938 in Henderson, North Carolina. She was the fourth of their six children.
She was the first in her family to graduate high school from Henderson Institute in Henderson, N.C. on May 29, 1956, an achievement that she was most proud of. She later instilled her love of education in her two sons, Anthony and Timothy (Ty).
As a young wife and mother she moved north for a better life for herself and her family. With limited access and opportunity in the early 1960’s she entered the Federal Government as an elevator operator and worked her way up to a position within the Department of Veterans Affairs where she distinguished herself with many service awards as a correspondence clerk over her 31-year career.
When Cathy retired on July 30, 1993 she began a second career as a substitute teacher for special needs children at Catherine T. Reed elementary school located in Greenbelt, MD, combining her love of children and education.
Cathy’s infectious smile and personality will live on forever in our hearts.
Note: The family strongly asks that in lieu of flowers that you make a donation in Catherine Terry’s name at the Alzheimer’s Association website at www.Alz.org.
After logging on to the Alzheimer’s Association website, please do the following:
1. At the upper right corner of the main webpage click “DONATE”
2. Under “Gift Amount”, please select the desired amount provided or click on the “Your Best Gift” button and enter the actual amount you would like to contribute.
3. Under “Is this a tribute gift?”, please check “Yes, this is an honor or memorial gift”, then under “*Honor Gift Type:” select “In Memory of” from the drop/pull-down options, then under “*Honoree Name” enter Catherine Terry.
4. Under “Donor Information” enter your Name, Email Address, Street address, etc…
5. Under “Payment Method:” enter the appropriate credit card information.
6. Finally, under “Connection to Alzheimer’s” select “I have lost someone to Alzheimer’s” for the drop/pull-down options.
P.O. Box 96011, Washington DC 20090-6011